Fully indexable multi tool increases turret press output, for greater machine flexibility and productivity.
| Mate Precision Tooling Mate’s Ultra® IMT™ fully indexable Multi Tool is available in three-station and eight-station designs, developed following extensive customer research to identify operators’ ideas for higher turret press output. |
Multi tool technology supplier Mate Precision Tooling promises greater productivity to turret punch press operators using its new, patent-pending Ultra® IMT™ fully indexable multi tool. Unlike standard multi tools, which only have one angle setting, fully indexable multi tools can achieve any angle setting on the workpiece.
Mate offers two versions of the Ultra IMT fully indexable multi tool:
- The three-station tool uses standard Ultra 1.25-in. B-station punches and strippers and thick turret B-station dies. It can punch material up to 6 mm with a maximum tonnage of 16 tons (142 kN).
- The eight-station tool uses standard Ultra 1.5-in. A-station punches and strippers, and thick turret A-Station dies. It can punch material up to 6 mm with maximum tonnage of 7 tons (62 kN).
- According to Mate, the design of the new multi tool was preceded by extensive customer research. “We wanted to provide our customers with the opportunity to define their vision of the ideal multi tool,” according to John Galich, Mate marketing manager. “We knew there could be some trepidation with using multi tools. Our research not only confirmed our perceptions, but it also provided us with some interesting insights that led to the design of other customer-centric features.”
- Ultra IMT is easy to use, and to assembly and disassembly. No tools are needed for punch, striker, and stripper retention/removal.
- It is designed to use Mate’s Ultra® punches, strippers and Slug Free® dies, eliminating the need for specialized tooling inventory. Ultra punches provide exceptional life between regrinds. Ultra strippers have recess for added 0.118 inch (3.00 mm) punch grind life, while the Slug Free dies eliminate slug pulling and increase piece part quality.
- The multi tool features a drop-in quick tool-change design that allows for fast changes that reduce machine downtime and increase productivity.
- Its Integral punch length adjustment feature ensures optimal punching performance and efficient slug discharge across a wide range of materials.
- Identification of the active station is easy because Ultra IMT has a clearly viewable “Zero Mark” that indicates the start/home position and a station ID window to quickly see the active station, both to assist in reducing the chance for error.
- Ultra IMT’s ergonomic design allows operators to wrap their hands easily around the holder, and to use a T-handle to aid in lifting it.
- Variable stripping force options for heavy- and light-duty applications, makes it possible adjust Ultra IMT’s downward force to reduce sheet-marking on thin materials or aluminum.
- The innovative Ultra IMT holder is designed so that each tool is individually activated. This means that inactive punches are prevented from moving, protecting part surfaces from unwanted marks.
- Ultra IMT is fully ported for lubrication, which is delivered via the punch ram through the central shaft over all moving surfaces within the punch holder assembly. External spiral grooves in the outside diameter of the holder reduce friction between the machine and holder, especially during high speed nibbling operations.
“Mate believes we delivered on the customer’s vision of an ideal multi tool,” according to John Galich. “Increasing turret press output with the addition of a Mate Ultra IMT is an excellent way to increase machine flexibility and productivity in today’s challenging economy. With Ultra IMT, Mate gives fabricators yet another option for maximizing machine output and profitability while ensuring highest quality sheet metal parts.”